- Alto Saxophone – Greg Osby, Steve Coleman
- Baritone Saxophone – Hamiet Bluiett
- Bass – Doug Mathews (2)
- Drums – Anthony Cole (3)
- Horn [Baritone] – Joseph Daley*
- Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, Flute, Written-By – Sam Rivers
- Tenor Saxophone – Chico Freeman, Gary Thomas
- Trombone – Art Baron, Joseph Bowie, Ray Anderson
- Trumpet – Baikida Carroll, James Zollar, Ralph Alessi, Ravi Best
- Tuba – Bob Stewart
Friday, January 6, 2012
More Sam Rivers
You can hear a delightful interview with Rivers at The Jazz Session podcast, with host Jason Crane. Meanwhile I have posted a couple more cuts featuring Sam Rivers on my Jazz Note NSU.
One is 'Revelation', from Culmination, one of Rivers' many large ensemble projects.
I also posted a cut from Miles at Tokyo: 'So What'.
I hadn't listened to this live Miles recording in a while. It is simply superb. It's the second great quintet with Rivers sitting in the chair usually occupied by Wayne Shorter. Rivers' solos will not leave you wondering why he appears on so many seminal albums.