Monday, January 2, 2012

David Murray's Black Saint Quartet in Berlin

I received a nice note from Jeff Cosgrove.  Jeff is a drummer and he has just recorded a CD with the title Motian Sickness - The Music of Paul Motian, For the Love of Sarah.  You gotta love that title. 
The CD features Jamie Masefield (Jazz Mandolin Project) on mandolin, Mat Maneri (William Parker/Cecil Taylor) on viola, John Hebert (Fred Hersch/Mary Halvorson) on bass, and me on drums.  This is a project I had be speaking with Paul Motian about for over three years and he sent me all the compositions. 
I'll be reviewing this CD as soon as I get it.  I am a big fan of Paul Motian, who passed away in November.   As it happened, I had just noticed a review of Jeff's recording at Jazz Times. 

In a subsequent email, Jeff alerted me to a recording by David Murray and the Black Saint Quartet, Black Saint Quartet: Live in Berlin.  I found it on eMusic.  I hadn't noticed it before because eMusic didn't list it under David Murray.  I am big into David Murray.  I have been listening to it and it is exquisite.  I have a cut playing on my Live365 station.  Holy buckets but it is good!  

Here's the lineup, from Discogs: 
ps.  If David Murray should happen to notice this post, he should send me an email.  I will whirl like a Dervish if I get one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment