Monday, June 14, 2010

Tommy Flanagan

I fell in love with Tommy Flanagan back when my knowledge of jazz was limited to John Coltrane, Kenny Burrell, and Bill Evans.  I had a special affection for Burrell, and I got to see him twice.  It seemed like Flanagan showed up on all my Burrell recordings.  I think Flanagan was a very underrated player.  

Here is one of my favorite pieces, a Flanagan composition.  It is from an album that was originally released under the piano player's name.  I think it has been repackaged under Coltrane's name.  Trane and Burrell play on it.  
Tommy Flanagan/Minor Mishap/The Cats
That's a marvelous piece of joyous jazz.  A similar album was released under the names of Coltrane and Burrell.  It is so bubbly and alive it could talk a man off the edge of a bridge.  You just have to have these two recordings on your shelf.  
Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane/Lyresto/Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane
And don't miss 'Why Was I born?'  and 'Big Paul'.  These will explain to you why you were born. 

3 comments:

  1. Love it ! Thanks!
    Cover of curious cats too. Sniffing the music?

    Congratulations for the new look for the blog. Elegant & Chic!

    I remember telling you about jazz pianist Barbara Carroll.Have you listened to her stuff? I think it may not be in your style or taste...
    But, you should hear one of my favorites, Harold Betters (trombonist).

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ravel: thanks a bunch! I was wondering if the new skin was pleasing. It felt like I needed a new hairdo.

    As for Carroll and Betters: can you recommend a recording for each? I find several offerings for Carroll at eMusic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carroll is a smooth pianist, bordering on mellow (but she is no Mantovani style). I prefer her 1950's stuff (Most Beautiful Girl is from that period). You can hear her for free:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106463842
    As for Betters, there are short samples on his website:
    http://www.haroldbetters.com/

    ReplyDelete