Monday, June 28, 2010

A little piece of Coltrane

Almost every note Coltrane played into a microphone has been issued under his name, with the exception of course of his recordings with Miles Davis.  I think I have all the Trane box sets, except for Side Steps.  I haven't ponied up for that one because I have almost everything that is on it.  Today I picked up another puzzle piece at the Last Stop CD Shop in Sioux Falls.  

Mating Call, with pianist Tadd Dameron as leader, is not an essential Coltrane recording.  It is a solid document from Trane's 1950's work.   It was recorded at Rudy Van Gelder's studio on November 30th 1956, with John Simmons on bass and Philly Joe Jones on drums.  I haven't heard anything else by Dameron, and I am guessing, neither have you.  What I heard on this recording is enough to get me looking.  

Here is a sample:
Tadd Dameron/Romas/Mating Call

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Ken, more Coltrane is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So says I! It's actually a spunky little album.

    ReplyDelete