Saturday, April 24, 2010

@ Andy's In Chicago

I have been in Chicago the last several days for the Midwest Political Science Conference.  Tonight I went to see tenor sax man Von Freeman at Andy's Jazz club, just north of the river.  At 88, he looks pretty brittle, but he can still play with all of that feelin'.  It was a very nice evening.  Freeman had a vocalist with him, and a piano,bass and drums behind him.  I didn't get any of their names, but they were all very good.   I believe he said that the bass player was from the Chicago Symphony.  

Live jazz is priceless.  But this only cost me $15 and a few beers.  

Here is a sample I picked up from an out of print CD. 
Christian McBride, Nicholas Payton, and Mark Whitfield/Dolphin Dance/Fingerpainting: The Music of Herbie Hancock
McBride plays bass, Payton guitar, and Whitfield trumpet and flugelhorn guitar, Whitfield guitar and Payton trumpet and flugelhorn  It is very well recorded, and the guitar in particular is magnificent.  I heard it while strolling in The Jazz Record Mart in Chicago, one of my favorite stops in the windy city.

2 comments:

  1. Just a quick correction. Nicholas Payton is the trumpeter, and Mark Whitfield is on guitar. But you are right Fingerpainting is a great album. If you liked Fingerpainting, you should check out Parker's Mood. It features Roy Hargrove on trumpet, McBride on bass, and Stephen Scott on piano.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the correction, Jason. I will have to check out the disc you recommend. I really like this kind of trio. It has a very fresh and vibrant sound.

    ReplyDelete