Sunday, October 18, 2009

J.D. Allen Live @ The Village Vanguard


The Village Vanguard concert series is selling a lot of CDs, to me at least.  I have shelled out for two discs from each of the artists I have posted on, including the J.D. Allen Trio.  The Trio's Vanguard date isn't available as a download, alas.  But I have listened to the whole thing and it is exquisite. 

With bassist Gregg August and drummer Rudy Royston, the trio invites inevitable comparisons to the Sonny Rollins Vanguard recordings.  The sax/bass/drum trio focuses ones attention on the warmth and sparkle of the horn.  I think this might be the single most powerful setting for the saxophone, which is my favorite horn and jazz's favorite horn.   But for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, it wasn't Rollins I thought of as I listened to Allen's tenor, but John Coltrane.  The J.D. Allen Trio has two recent recordings: I Am I Am, and Shine.  Both of them are gems.  

Here is a short sample.
JD Allen Trio/Shine/Shine
Now: get the recording.  And leave a note. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey bro!
    Can you add me to your best jazz sites please,
    my website: www.jazzplant.com
    email me if you have added me i will backlink you
    My email: s.opauszki@gmail.com
    PEACE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo bro! I have added your link. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete