Monday, May 7, 2012

Joshua Redman & Brad Mehldau

When I was in Chicago recently, I enjoyed a magnificent concert at the Chicago Symphony Center.  It was a duet with Brad Mehldau on piano and Joshua Redman on sax.  I was in the nosebleed section of the hall, but that was not such a bad place to be.  The sound was great and I could look down on Mehldau's piano. 

I had intended to write a review of the concert before the memory had largely faded.  I didn't get around to it.  I will only say that it was an exquisite experience.  I especially remember their version of "Hey Joe".  It was so deeply compelling that I forgot where I was.  The clip above gives you a pretty good idea of what I heard. 

I am playing 'Belonging (Lopsided Melody)' from Redman's Beyond
 I am also playing 'Blackbird', from The Art of the Trio, vol. 1
So I will leave you with this:



    No comments:

    Post a Comment