Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Miles Davis in a Box

I need to get back in  touch with my masthead.  Miles Davis is at the center of it all, I announce.  Well, why?  The great Miles Davis box sets have the answer.  I began my serious jazz recording with the first Miles Davis Quintet.  Workin', Cookin', Steamin' and Relaxin'.  I still think that this is one of the most successful bodies of work in modern jazz.  

All four recordings and a lot of extra stuff is included in the Legendary Prestige Quintet Recordings.   This is a box you want next to the stereo.  I am playing my single favorite cut from the box: 'My Funny Valentine.'  The Quintet includes Miles and John Coltrane, along with the most famous rhythm section in modern jazz: Red Garland on piano, Paul Chambers on bass, and Philly Joe Jones on drums.  

I'll be posting more on Miles.  Enjoy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment