Saturday, November 13, 2010

Thelonious Monk & Sam Rivers.

My Thelonious Monk tribute show is almost done.  I am hoping to launch it tomorrow night (Saturday) at 10pm Central Time.  I'll post here if there is a delay.  The United States Congress told me not to post a playlist in advance, but I will post one after the show gets going.  Not quite half the show consists of Monk recordings, and the rest of other jazzmen covering Monk's compositions.  If you have read this blog in the past, you will have some idea of the mix.  I have several bop treatments of Monk, and some other avant garde treatments.  Steve Lacy is well represented.  

Meanwhile, I have been listening to a new box set: The Complete Blue Note Sam Rivers Sessions.  It is three CDs including four of River's early recordings as leader.  Rivers is best known as an avant garde sax player, but this bundle of music is very accessible and it is utterly delicious.  The box is a little hard to come by.  You might find it easier to get Fushia Swing Song, Dimensions and Extensions, A New Conception, and Contours.  You won't be disappointed by any of them.  Rivers is the real thing.  Let the River flow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment