Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Music I love: Wayne Shorter

I didn't realize until well after midnight that yesterday was Friday the 13th.  It's a little too late to do a spooky post, but since when did that ever stop me?  I am leaving for a trip to Glacier National Park.   I expect posting will be light over the next week.  So I will leave you with this.  

Wayne Shorter is my favorite jazz man.  I think he is very under appreciated, but my love for his work might be out of proportion.  Anyway, I think that his composition 'Infant Eyes' is among the greatest pieces of music I have ever heard.  To say that it is haunting is a criminal case of understatement.  The title weaves into the music in a way that all jazz men aim at when they scribble a title onto a sheet of music.  Shorter achieved the aim as perfectly as it can be achieved.  

Shorter takes something that is very common, and turns it into a major mystery.  When you look into a baby's eyes, what is staring back at you?  Every mother and father has asked this question, more or less consciously.  Not one has ever had an answer.  What is the human soul before it joins the world as each culture defines the world?  I don't know.  Neither does Wayne.  But he asks the question, and reveals its spooky side.  This is music at its most profound level.  Anyway, listen here and be sensitive to the mystery. 
Wayne Shorter/Infant Eyes/Speak No Evil

2 comments:

  1. I got Speak No Evil about five years ago, and I listened to it much more than I ever expected. Shorter is a great composer -- innovative, interesting, ambitious, and thoroughly modern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Blog.
    Awesome message as well
    I hope you will see what I am writing about
    www.MichaelBasilicato.com

    ReplyDelete