Friday, November 27, 2009

Best Jazz Albums 26-50


Compiling a list of 50 best jazz albums is, as reader Derick put it, like "walking blindfolded through a mine field."   Proceeding on the principle that rules are made to be broken, I made rules and broke them.  But it has been fun and it has led me to go back and do a lot of listening that I otherwise might have neglected.  I also found myself frequently entering an album only to replace it with another.  Discipline, please!

I wanted to get some multi-disc collections in, if only to cheat on the limit of fifty recordings.  That's a little like being limited to three books on a desert island, and putting the Harvard Classics as number one.  So here is 26-33 on my list:


Coltrane
John
Complete 1961 Village Vanguard 
Recordings
Coltrane
John
Complete Africa/Brass Sessions
Davis
Miles
Legendary Prestige Recordings
Davis
Miles
Live at the Plugged Nickel 
Davis
Miles
Miles Davis at Carnegie Hall
Dolphy
Eric
At the Five Spot Vols. 1 & 2
/Memorial Album
Manne
Shelly
Shelly Manne and His Men 
@ Blackhawk
Rollins
Sonny
A Night at the Village Vanguard

Obviously Miles Davis and John Coltrane are overrepresented.  But that reflects the importance I place on those two giants.  Davis's Prestige Recordings include his incomparable Workin', Relaxin', Cookin', and Steamin' albums.  How could I leave them out, and how else could I fit them in?  I first listed the Blackhawk recordings, but the Plugged Nickel set is a better example of the distance Miles crosses in the period I concentrate on.  Trane's Vanguard recording are, in my mind, his greatest achievement.  Dolphy's Five Spot recordings aren't really a single set (I cheated again), but put 'em in a single bag.  They might be the best display of Dolphy's brilliance.  Manne's Blackhawk recordings are West Coast jazz at its best.  Rollins' Vanguard set needs no defense.

Here is the rest of the list:


Ayler
Albert
Spiritual Unity
Blakey
Art
Moanin' 
Dolphy
Eric
Out to Lunch
Ellington
Duke
Ellington at Newport
Ervin
Booker
The Trance
Hawes
Hampton
Hampton Hawes Trio Vol. 2. 
Holland
Dave
Conference of the Birds
Jarrett
Keith
The Köln Concert
Kirk
Roland
Rip, Rig, and Panic
Lovano
Joe
From the Soul
Mobley
Hank
Soul Station
Montgomery
Wes
The Incredible Guitar 
Morgan
Lee
Search for the New Land
Murray
David
The Hill
Russel
George
Ezz-Thetics
Silver
Horace
Blown' the Blues Away
Sun Ra

Jazz In Silhouette

When in doubt, look at what everyone else is doing.  I consulted several "top 100" lists on the web.  Most of them are pretty much like mine for the first ten or so.  Past 25, there is a lot of divergence.  But most of the items in my list show up somewhere on other lists.  Some exceptions include Booker Ervin's Trance.  I am deeply in love with Booker Ervin.  Trance is not his best known work, but think it is the purest example of his genius.  Lee Morgan's Sidewinder was his best seller, while Search for the New Land rarely shows up on best jazz lists.  But great as the former is, I think the later is the more serious recording.

I got a couple of big band recordings in, by Ellington and Sun Ra.  I don't like big band jazz generally, but I think these are superb albums.  Some of the items are recorded much later than my target period (1950-1970).  Holland, Murray, and Lovano, for example, though Holland Conference of the Birds doesn't miss it by much.  But these recordings fit right into the mold. 

Anyway, I think this top 50 list would be the core of a very good jazz library.  Here are some samples.
David Murray/Santa Barbara and Crenshaw Follie/The Hill
Lee Morgan/Morgan the Pirate/Search for the New Land
Miles Davis/Milestones/Live at the Plugged Nickel

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the lists KB. I mentioned in an earlier post comment some of the electric Miles that in my opinion are some of the greatest jazz album (Bitches Brew and In A Silent Way). Here are a few more, that I am sure we can agree to disagree on.

    Weather Report - Heavy Weather
    Chick Corea - Light as a Feather
    Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Mounting Flame
    Pat Metheny - The Pat Metheny Group
    Herbie Hancock - Headhunters (not HH's best album by any means)
    Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay

    (and in a more traditional sense)
    Wynton Marsalis - Think of One

    Besides these being monster LP's, they are all groundbreaking classic albums that pushed the definition of jazz music. They introduced new rhythms, instrumentation, and improvisations into the jazz idium, and influenced the direction of jazz in new ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken: Your list makes me want to do another! It's not secret that I am not a big fusion fan, though I do like a lot of that sort of music; and in some moods nothing else will do. The only Weather Report album I have is Mysterious Traveler, which is a very good recording. I have to confess that I do not like jazz funk, and so Headhunters doesn't get a lot of play on my ear buds.

    On the other hand, Hubbard's Red Clay is not to be denied.

    Anyway, thanks for appending these suggestions. I hope my readers consider them.

    ReplyDelete