Friday, March 13, 2009

Everything Should Be Available!


I understand that the major labels would rather get $15 a CD than $5. But surely everyone who has rights to a recording would rather get something than nothing. I am willing to pay for good jazz, and in this day it can't cost much to make a recording available for download. So why can't I find Arthur Blythe's Night Song, except for $25 used? It makes no kind of sense to me. Every piece of recorded jazz should be available for download.

Well, that rant done, I present for your approval two numbers from a heart breaking disc: Left Alone Revisited, with Archie Shepp and Mal Waldron. Waldron recorded a bunch of duets in his last years, and all of them I have listened to are worth their weight in gold. Both Shepp and Waldron are known for avant garde jazz, but these recordings are sheer page 3 romance.

Archie Shepp & Mal Waldron/I Only Have Eyes for You/Left Alone Revisited

Archie Shepp & Mal Waldron/Blues for 52nd Street/Left Alone Revisited

The recording is available for pennies from eMusic.

No comments:

Post a Comment