Saturday, February 2, 2013

Miles Davis Second Quintet Live

This blog's masthead puts Miles Davis at the center of genius in modern music.  I hold to that in spite of the fact that my collection of Miles' is very incomplete.  I have only a little of his work after 1969.  That was the point that Miles decided to strike out on a new course.

I have a lot of his work from the early fifties on.  Davis' fans are very lucky.  We have not only a fine body of studio work by his two "great" quintets, but very large box sets of live recordings.  I would suggest the following:
  1. Stockholm 1960 Complete
  2. In Person Live at the Blackhawk 1961
  3. Live at Carnegie Hall 1961
  4. Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel 1965
That is a powerful lot of live Miles Davis.  Fortunately, there is more.  Miles second quintet was well documented in the studio.  ESP is an essential album by what many consider the greatest small ensemble in the history of jazz.   The Plugged Nickel gives us the Second Quintet in a very pensive mood.  I love this collection.  However...

We have two recent collections of recordings made by Miles in Europe in the late sixties.  The Bootleg Series Vol. 1 features the second quintet:
I have just now acquired this box and I am in love.  I am playing 'Footprints' (a Wayne Shorter composition) and 'On Green Dolphin Street'.  It just doesn't get any better than this.  Enjoy.

The Bootleg Series Vol. 2 has just been released.  This was Miles' "third quintet" with Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Dave Holland, and Jack DeJohnette.  This group never recorded in the studio.  Miles regretted this.  Fortunately, some of their live dates in Europe were recorded.  I am waiting for the box to arrive in my mailbox. 

No comments:

Post a Comment