Saturday, January 5, 2013

Who is Herlin Riley?

Okay, maybe it's early alts but I can't remember exactly when or why I downloaded Herlin Liley's Cream of the Crescent.  I have been playing a cut from the album since Oct. 20, and I dumped it onto a CD that I have been playing in my car. When it came up I had no idea what I was listening to, but I knew I wanted more.  At this rate I will so be able to hide my own Easter eggs.  

Anyway, Riley's album is very fine "neo-bop" drummer and leader, to judge from this very fine neo-bop album.  The album has the sparkling feel of a splendid jazz room, one where you can here every crisp note of the piano and the sound of the bass player's fingers on the strings.  You get carried into the room and out again into that jazz thing.  

Here is the note from CDUniverse:
Cream of the Crescent album by Herlin Riley was released Oct 04, 2005 on the criss cross label. On his second Criss Cross date, Herlin Riley, drummer with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra since 1992, assembles an all-star lineup from different eras of the band. The front line comprises Criss Cross veteran Wycliffe Gordon on trombone, Victor Goines Personnel: Herlin Riley (drums); Victor Goines (clarinet, saxophone); Wynton Marsalis (trumpet); Wycliffe Gordon (trombone); Eric Lewis (piano); Reginald Veal (bass instrument). Cream of the Crescent CD music contains a single disc with 9 songs.
I have been playing 'Need Ja Help'.  I am keeping that on going and adding the first cut: 'Bird Life', which features Lewis on piano.  I am also adding 'Trouble in Treme', which is a showcase for the horns and piano.  Enjoy.  Tell Wycliffe Gordon that he needs to send me a note.  I love him on his CD. 

No comments:

Post a Comment