Tuesday, June 30, 2009

More Esbjörn Svensson


As if you're interested, I have spent the last several weeks recording lectures onto computer files. I am teaching two classes in July: Intro to Philosophy, and Human Nature and Human Values (a course on the biological origins of political behavior). But I am going to be gone the first week of class. I am attending the Illinois Biology and Politics Institute. So my students will have to make do with canned Blanchard. Recording these lectures has been three times the work of a regular class. But I have been learning a lot of new technology.

Meanwhile I am working on a paper on Lincoln and Darwin. I can't wait to find out what I have to say.

But just right now I feel the need to post a bit of jazz, but I am too tired to say anything interesting. That's assuming anything I say is interesting. Anyhow I have been listening to the brilliant and unfortunately late Esbjörn Svensson. I commented on Svensson's Monk tribute album last month.

Two other albums put me on that shadowed, cobblestone walk, damp with evening dew. From Gargarin's Point of View is a title that suggest a genius for arrangement. Likewise with Winter in Venice. I have never been to Venice. But I cannot imagine that such a place exists in winter.
Esbjörn Svensson could imagine that, and he does on this superb album. Both of these albums remind me of walking Boston, alone, on a rainy afternoon. Red stones and the smell of lobster boiling.

I will finish this damn paper if it kills me. But before it does, here are some samples from the two albums:
Esbjörn Svensson/From Gargarin's Point of View/From Gargarin's Point of View
Esbjörn Svensson/Semblance Part 2/Winter in Venice

Enjoy. And if you do enjoy them, post a comment. That's all I ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment