Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Jazz for Halloween

Jazz is my favorite music, and Halloween is my favorite holiday. Well, maybe my second after Christmas. I am incurably fond of spooky stories. NPR's Take Five: A Weekly Jazz Sampler, has a Halloween post. It's pretty good. It includes Wayne Shorter's Witch Hunt, from Speak No Evil, in my view, one of the best jazz albums ever produced. Shorter wrote and drew scifi and other spooky comics as a young man, and this comes out in his music. Juju, Speak No Evil, and Roots and Herbs (Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers) all carry a voodoo scent.

Buy I would also recommend Greg Abate. Monsters in the Night is one of my favortite jazz recordings. You can find a sample at my Drop.io site. If you like it, go to Greg's Website and order the disc.

No comments:

Post a Comment