Friday, June 15, 2012

Red Mitchell and Bill Mays: Some Video Clips from Memory Lane

I am feeling a need to put up more hard bop to balance out all the avant garde on my station.  The next entry in the PG1001 after the John Gilmore/Clifford Jordan album that I blog on is Presenting Red MitchellPresenting is a very fine piece of work.  I don't know James Clay except for this recording, but man does he swing. I am playing 'Sandu'. 
  1. Red Mitchell b
  2. James Clay ts, f
  3. Lorraine Geller p
  4. Billy Higgins d
Many years ago (okay, it was 1982) I recorded a concert off TV with Mitchell and pianist Bill Mays.  I played that cassette tape over and over.  I have no idea what happened to it and I haven't been able to find their recording, except for ridiculous collector's prices.     However, clips are available from that show on YouTube.  Here are a couple of them. 





Hello!  Here are two more:





This might actually be the whole thing.  I seem to recall that there wasn't much of it.  This was the beginning of my love for jazz.  I could appreciate, here, the pure joy of two superb musicians exploring a realm in musical space.   Thanks to the wonders of recording, this one wasn't lost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment