Sunday, July 12, 2009

From A to Zoot


I feel like posting but I don't have anything much to say. It's a cool night, and the moon is peaking out from a quilt of clouds. I am listening to Zoot Sims. It's one of those odd things, but just after I first listened to Zoot's brilliant album, Warm Tenor, I went out and mowed the lawn. I was thinking about the music as I pushed the mower. That was, maybe, thirty five years ago. Now, every time I listen to Sims, I remember the light in the back yard, and the roar of the air conditioning unit.

Well, here is a track that won't rouse such memories in you, dear reader. More apropos would be beer lights and wooden booths. Zoot rules the room.
Zoot Sims/The Touch of Your Lips/I Wish I Were Twins
Jimmy Rowles on piano, Frank Tate on bass, and Akira Tana on drums. Rowles is superb. What would life be like if this were happening every Saturday down on main street. Park next to the bicycle shop and walk in. Order a drink, and listen to Sims work the saxophone.

No comments:

Post a Comment